Wednesday, December 14, 2016
SPIRITUAL EXPLORATIONS – 358
This is the daily exploration for Friday, December 23, 2016.
WE ARE EXPLORING THE HEAVENLY ATTRIBUTE OF JUSTICE
+ We are called to create and enjoy a realm of compassion, peace, justice and sustainable abundance for all.
+ Martin Luther King, Jr. on Justice and Compassion:
· Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
· A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.
· Any religion which professes to be concerned about the souls of men and women and is not concerned about the social and economic conditions that can scar the soul, is a spiritually moribund religion only waiting for the day to be buried.
· Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
· I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.
· I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one; not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
· Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice. This echoes: I do not pretend to understand the moral universe; the arc is a long one, my eye reaches but little ways; I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. And from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice. -– Theodore Parker
+ Martin Luther King, Jr. often said: “The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.” He got that line from a 19th century Unitarian minister, abolitionist, transcendentalist, Theodore Parker. Parker was right and King was right. Justice is definitely God’s way and it is our way as we assume our rightful role as a heavenly being.
In stillness we can’t help but hear the cries of the poor, the alienated, the confused and the oppressed. Sooner or later we know we must act, act on their behalf, act for ourselves, for all. For we are all poor, alienated, confused, oppressed as long as any one of us is. We must always identify with the marginalized. Solidarity.
Those of us who have long benefitted from white privilege must not be content until the day comes when the color of our skin really does not matter. We have made progress but we still have a long way to go.
Where justice is denied, Love is denied. We have put up barriers to keep out God, to keep out heaven, to keep out wholeness and truth and beauty. We must confess this regularly and seek to tear down those barriers. We must find ways, all kinds of ways, to create a society where no one is denied access to the abundance God provides.
This requires plenty of compassion and creativity. We get this from God when we pray. Prayer changes things. It’s not magic. Prayer is an attitude adjustment. God changes us and makes us become agents of change. We simply don’t accept an earth where justice is denied. We can’t. We won’t.
Each of us must choose among all of the causes demanding our attention and action. Prayer leads us to a good fit, where our unique gifts can make a difference. Believe. The more we pray for justice, the more we can make a big difference. Yes, we hear the cries. Our prayerful response leads to smiles and laughter and equality. The heavenly feast is intended for everyone. Let no one be denied.
The celebration is so much better when no one is denied. There is so much variety on this planet, so much beauty. Justice means we all can enjoy what everyone is offering. The barriers we have built have prevented a lot of joy from circulating freely. This is not God’s will. Tear down those barriers. Let Justice flow.
+ Spirituality & Practice offers plenty of plenty of resources on the practice of Justice and plenty of resources on the practice of Peace and plenty of resources on the practice of Connections. Also S&P provides a 12s Gallery of Memes on Justice, a 12s Gallery of Memes on Peace and a 12s Gallery on Connections.
+ You can always find a link to any of the Spiritual Explorations posts by going to http://abundancetrek.com/sepostsaccess.html