Tuesday, July 5, 2016

SPIRITUAL EXPLORATIONS – 192

WE ARE EXPLORING THE PRACTICE OF DELIGHT

+
O sing to the LORD a new song,
for he has done marvelous things.
Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth;
          break forth into joyous song and sing praises.
-- Psalm 98: 1a,4

+ I’m a big rock’n’roll fan and I am amazed at how many people who love rock’n’roll don’t move beyond a certain era or genre such as the 50s or 60s or Folk Rock or Motown or Soul or New Wave or Punk or Heavy Metal or Grunge or Reggae or Hip Hop.  I love the golden oldies but, for me, rock’n’roll at its best is the new hit, the song I never heard before but “has a good beat and you can dance to it” as the American Bandstand teen judges liked to tell Dick Clark after they heard a new song for the first time (if they liked it).  I will never forget the feeling I had when I first heard “The Logical Song” or “Penny Lane” or “Strawberry Fields” or “Celebrate” or many others which are now golden oldies.

“Happy” by Pharrell Williams is embedded in this post.  I was delighted when I heard it the first time and continue to be delighted by it.  It is relatively new. It is rapidly becoming a Golden Oldie but is not yet stale. I continue to look for that "new song" which will inspire me and delight me.  I am grateful for the creative artists doing something new and different, challenging or comforting. 

A “new song” is so often simply delightful.  I rarely listen to a radio station which is stuck on music which all too often has been played way too much and has grown old and stale.  Humanity thrives on the New Song, the New Idea, the New Movement, The New Invention, The New Community, The New Faith for the New Earth.  Be open to the new and different.  Sooner or later you are bound to be delighted by the New Thing God is doing.

Delight is not one of the 37 Spirituality & Practice practices BUT put Delight in their Search Engine and you come up with 85 items including 67 quotes, 16 books, 1 practice, and 1 film as of 6/14/16.  Go to http://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/search/?q=Delight.  However, it is clear that Mary Ann & Frederic Brussat are big fans of Joy. Therefore, put Joy in their Search Engine and you come up with 2057 items including 867 quotes, 835 books, 160 practices, 11 teachers, 24 arts links, 29 e-courses, 98 films, 26 blogs and 4 traditions as of 6/14/16. Oh, and Joy IS one of the 37 spiritual practices. You can also be inspired by their Twelves Gallery on Joy

Joy will come up again very soon in these explorations since it is the second of 9 heavenly attributes we will be exploring.

+ I would love it if you offered a guest post on this practice or any practice.  And, I have work to do on my Delight page.  Maybe you can help.  Send an email with the subject “Delight” or “Guest Post” to John@abundancetrek.com.

+ You can always find a link to any of the Spiritual Explorations posts by going to http://abundancetrek.com/sepostsaccess.html

No comments: