Tuesday, May 3, 2016

SPIRITUAL EXPLORATIONS – 128

WE ARE EXPLORING THE PRACTICE OF DEVOTION




+ Devotion means prayer and lots of it and in many forms. You need to find a way of praying that works for you. Your devotion helps others the most when it is helping you become more holy, more authentic, more compassionate. Don’t be deceived or misled by people who want you to pray their way. What works for them may not work for you. We live in a time when it makes sense to search for a path which is most meaningful and joyful for you.

For many of us this means renewing our commitment to the path of our ancestors. For me, this is the path of Christ. For many of you, this is the path of Christ. But this path is not for everyone and that’s OK. Too many Christians have believed that their path is the only way to be saved. It is a powerful way but there are others.

I subscribe fully to the motto of my particular tradition: “Reformed and always being reformed.”  Following Christ means being open to change, to “doing a new thing,” to experimenting and even expanding to include rituals and practices from the other wisdom traditions and creating new rituals and practices. Blending the old and the new, the comfortable and the uncomfortable. It’s all about making your traditions work in a world where we now know so many other great traditions.

So, my devotion includes practices not associated with the path of Christ in the past. I am even willing to reject certain Christian practices as my discernment and the discernment of others finds fault in some practices. If the common good of all humanity and all creation is not promoted, I cannot and will not participate in that kind of exclusion and insensitivity.

This means I am devoted to the path of Christ which is radically open to embracing other paths. I call this The New Faith for the New Earth. I believe that this is the “new thing” God is doing now. This is the path for me and for many. We are creating something new now. I believe that The New Faith for the New Earth is essential because the old faith for the old earth is leading us to destruction. We must devote ourselves to the New Faith even as we remain devoted to many traditional practices. This is daunting and exciting. Are you with me?

+ Spirituality & Practice offers many resources on the spiritual practice of Devotion.  You can explore even more with this link to “Devotion” on their search engine. You will find 2153 items as of 4/26/16.  And, of course, there is a Twelves Gallery of Memes on Devotion.  The Body also gets a lot of attention from S&P as you can see if you go to this link to “Body” on their search engine. You will find 1611 items as of 4/26/16.

+ I would love it if you offered a guest post on this practice or any practice.  And, I have work to do on my Devotion page.   Maybe you can help.  Send an email with the subject “Devotion” or “Guest Post” to John@abundancetrek.com.

+ You can always find a link to any of the Spiritual Explorations posts by going to http://abundancetrek.com/sepostsaccess.html

No comments: