Thursday, August 4, 2016

SPIRITUAL EXPLORATIONS – 223

WE ARE EXPLORING THE PRACTICE OF HEAVENLINESS


+ An inspired piece of spiritual art often emerges from those who have both cultivated an artistic skill and who have had a spiritual experience, say, of ‘oneness,’ inter-dependence, or the immanent presence of the sacred. Such a work of art can resonate deeply with others, expressing that which they might otherwise be unable to express. It can inspire us, strengthen us, and give us assurance that we are not alone in our inward quest for authentic experiences of something profoundly greater than ourselves.

+ Some of my favorite rock’n’roll, pop and Celtic songs fall into that important category of “an inspired piece of spiritual art.” I cherish the many, many times my soul has been revived by music and, for me, that is often, certainly not always, rock’n’roll music.  Let me mention a few of the rock’n’roll artists who have moved me over the years: Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Who, The Grateful Dead, Carole King, The Pretenders, Bruce Springsteen, Van Morrison, Todd Rundgren, Super Tramp, U2, REM, Kate Bush, Marina & The Diamonds and I intend to edit this post sooner or later adding at least a few more.

The Logical Song by Super Tramp is possibly the number one song for me when it comes to defining rock’n’roll as spiritual art.  So, let me share the lyrics as well as the recording:

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily,
Joyfully, playfully watching me.
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,
Logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
Clinical, intellectual, cynical.

There are times when all the world's asleep,
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please tell me who I am.

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
Liberal, fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
Acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!

At night, when all the world's asleep,
The questions run so deep
For such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please tell me who I am.
  
+ The 12 styles of Mandala: Creating An Authentic Spiritual Path: An InterSpiritual Process by Edward Bastian are listed in SE206.

+ The 7 steps of InterSpiritual Meditation by Edward Bastian are listed in SE21 and SE213.  They are described fully in his book, InterSpiritual Meditation.

+ To get inspired and illuminated by Ed Bastian, I invite you to set aside some time for these videos:
·         SevenSteps of InterSpiritual Meditation (11 minutes)
·         2 hour lecture & conversation

Spirituality & Practice emphasizes the practices of Beauty, Creativity, Imagination & Wonder: The Practice of Beauty | The 12s Gallery on Beauty | The 12s Gallery on Creativity | The Practice of Imagination | The 12s Gallery on Imagination |  The Practice of Wonder | The 12s Gallery on Wonder

+ I would love it if you offered a guest post on this practice or any practice.  And, I have work to do on my Heavenliness page.  Maybe you can help.  Send an email with the subject “Heavenliness” or “Guest Post” to John@abundancetrek.com.

+ You can always find a link to any of the Spiritual Explorations posts by going to http://abundancetrek.com/sepostsaccess.html

No comments: