Wednesday, August 31, 2016

SPIRITUAL EXPLORATIONS – 274

WE ARE EXPLORING THE PRACTICE OF HEAVENLINESS


+ This is a post on the style of The Way of Prayer as we continue to explore Heavenliness through the lens of the 12 styles of the Mandala process created by Edward Bastian.  There are 3 more Mandala styles to explore after this: Reason, Relationships and Wisdom. After that, we move on to the 9 Attributes of Heaven.

+ My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
-- Thomas Merton

+ We must come to this realization that no matter how much we want to control events in our lives we simply cannot ever achieve total or even frequent control.  It just doesn’t happen.  We must accept our limits, learn to live with them, trust the process.  Prayer is the only way to accomplish this.  Unceasing prayer is the only way to accomplish this all the time, in every situation.

+ We could do well to explore prayer under the guidance of such a great spiritual guide as Thomas Merton.  Indeed we have been under his guidance on this amazing journey a number of times as we have moved through the Journey of the Mind, the Journey of the Heart, the Journey of the Body and now the Journey of the Soul.  See SE69, SE111, SE199, SE212, SE214, SE217, SE221 & SE244. He has left us his wisdom in the many books he wrote and his insights are found in many more.  He is featured in the Spirituality & Practice Remembering Spiritual Masters Project.


+ The 7 steps of InterSpiritual Meditation by Edward Bastian are listed in SE21 and SE213. They are described fully in his book, InterSpiritual Meditation.

+ To get inspired and illuminated by Ed Bastian, I invite you to set aside some time for these videos:
·         Seven Steps of InterSpiritual Meditation (11 minutes)
·         2 hour lecture & conversation

+ I would love it if you offered a guest post on this practice or any practice.  And, I have work to do on my Heavenliness page.  Maybe you can help.  Send an email with the subject “Heavenliness” or “Love” or “Guest Post” to John@abundancetrek.com.

+ You can always find a link to any of the Spiritual Explorations posts by going to http://abundancetrek.com/sepostsaccess.html

No comments: